As we look back over the past year we have seen some wonderful ideas, tips and guides. We wanted to take a look to see which of the posts here at DoItYourselfRV.com were the most popular across social media, commenters, and our readers. It is always interesting to see what the world of RV’ers thought to be the most worthwhile. We will list the top 10 from 2013 below in no particular order.
1. Swap Out a RV Dining Table for a More Functional Credenza – Dining table mods are some of the most discussed renovations we hear about. Any time we post one they immediately become popular because of the universal dislike of most dining setups in RV’s. This post shows off a conversion from a traditional RV dinette to a much more functional workstation/eat-in area.
2. One of a Kind RV Garage: 8 Foot Tall Door That Any RV Can Fit Through – Take a standard 8 foot garage door and squeeze a 13 foot high RV through it? Impossible? You have to see it to believe it. This post shows how a custom system can do just that with a touch of a button.
3. Meet the Shachagra: Incredible Custom Motorhome Built on a $100k Chassis – Build a custom motorhome starting with nothing but a chassis as this family did. They did so for perhaps the best of reasons. They then shipped it across the pond and used it for a family vacation traveling across Europe. This post shows off their work and tells a bit if their story.
4. Introduction to RV Solar Panel Kits and Systems – Find out more than you probably wanted to know about RV solar systems in this guide. It covers the basic principles of solar power with your RV and touches on some of the finer points when considering using solar power to help you on the road.
5. DIY RV Sofa Bed Designed by Ian and Mad Mumsie – If you have ever considered getting rid of your sleeper sofa in the RV then this article may be of interest. This clever design creates a DIY sofa bed that you can build yourself and will provide for a much more comfortable sleep.
6. RV Water Heater Basics, Types, and Maintenance – This article demystifies many of the issues surrounding water heater topics. Meant as a primer for new RV’ers or those who may need a refresh of the principles of good RV heater stewardship.
7. School Bus to RV Conversion from an Old Yellow Bus – This post takes you through the progression of turning a run of the mill school bus into a full featured motorhome bus. Many pictures and a sprinkle of motivation if you are considering something like this for your own use.
8. RV Mods: Sewer Hose Storage – Ideas and Examples – No one really wants to store the sewer hose next to the coolers or lawn chairs. It really needs its own special compartment that is quarantined from everything else. This post shows some of the different ways you can create specialized storage for your RV sewer hose. Multiple examples of installations in several areas ranging from under the chassis to the bumper.
9. RV App Guide: 10 Apps for the Open Road – With smartphones in nearly ever person’s pocket around the world, smartphone applications are becoming a staple for RV travel. This post outlines some of the must have apps for those with smartphones hitting the road in a RV. You will find applications for trip journals, GPS, and even RV park finders. We look at both Apple iOS and Android devices.
10. RV Insurance Policy Guide: Learn, Shop, and Compare – Though not the most fun read on our top 10 list, this article takes all the intricacies of RV insurance and attempts to give you the need to know information. Many readers let us know that this saved them money, time, or both. A informative read for anyone purchasing or renewing RV insurance. Here you will find a breakdown of RV policy features and a listing of companies and agencies across the US.
Of course we had hundreds more posts that were popular in their own way. We would love to take this opportunity to ask YOU, which was your favorite over the past year? Please share with us in the comments below!