If you’re camping somewhere cold this winter, you’re going to want more than one heat source to stay warm. Camco makes a gas catalytic heater ideal for RVs and campers that you can use even if you don’t have power available.
The Olympian Wave-8 heaters are both silent and efficient. They put off enough heat to warm 290 square feet of space, and if it gets too hot, the heaters can be turned down from 8000 to 4200 BTU an hour. The heaters are also offered as the Wave-6 (which heat up to 3200-6000 BTU) and Wave-3 (1600-3000 BTU). The Wave-3 warms up to 130 square feet of space, and the Wave-6 is best for spaces up to 230 square feet.
You can mount them on your wall or use them as portable space heaters. Like wood burning stoves, these gas catalytic heaters don’t need an electrical connection and won’t drain your battery. They operate on low-pressure HD-5 propane and have a safety shut-off valve to prevent accidental fuel discharge.
The heaters are built with an automatic Piezo electric sparker that lasts about 20,000 starts. According to the company:
“Olympian heaters produce mostly radiant heat as a result of a flameless catalytic combustion process. Its efficiency is high because combustion takes place at relatively low temperatures.
Like the sun, Olympian heaters radiate heat directly to people, floors, walls and other objects without heating the air first, so warmth is felt immediately. Radiant heat is absorbed by objects and then emitted into the air to heat the surrounding area. Therefore, your Olympian heater should be oriented to direct its heat rays toward the space to be heated, much like a floodlight is positioned to illuminate the desired area. “
The heaters use very little propane even when they’re on for a long period of time. On their max setting, the Wave heaters take about 1/8 lb of propane an hour. This means a 20 lb tank would last about 160 hours. On its low setting, the heater uses about 1/15 lb per hour, so it could run around 300 hours.
Because the heaters use propane, keep in mind there are safety precautions you’ll want to take. Cross ventilation is vital to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. All you’ll need to do is crack open a window and a top vent and you’ll be able to warm up safely. Make sure to also have a carbon monoxide alarm installed and in proper working condition.
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days