IKEA is a wonderland of inexpensive home furnishings and cool ways to keep things organized. It is also the place to go when you need to furnish a tiny home.
All RV owners know that an RV is the very definition of a tiny home. So when it came time for my family to give our travel trailer a huge facelift, IKEA was the first stop on our list. We browsed the furniture and tested out so many tables, sofas, and chairs that our heads were spinning. Fortunately, all of this shopping paid off and we were left with the ultimate list of RV-friendly IKEA furniture. This means you can do your own RV makeover without the hassle we just survived.
Which items made the cut? Well, here are the top three RV-friendly IKEA furniture items in each of the major RV furniture categories.
1. NORDEN Gateleg Table: This super compact table drops down to a mere 10.5 inches in width when not in use. The drawers in the middle section add extra storage to your RV. Additionally, the table pops up to a good size for when guests are over.
2. INGATORP Drop-Leaf Table: Those looking for something a bit lighter in weight might appreciate the INGATORP drop-leaf table. This dining surface can be folded down to the size of a desk to work at, but also opens up to seat four when dinner is ready.
3. EKEDALEN Extendable Table: An innovative, extendable table, this dining room option is relatively lightweight. Better yet, it is simple enough to be set into unusual floor plans or work around such obstacles as wheel wells. EKEDALEN table also folds down to a fairly small square and can be tucked into a corner when meal times are over.
Stools & chairs
1. FROSTA Stackable Stools: FROSTA stools are a simple yet effective seating option. They are incredibly lightweight, and because they can be stacked, they are easy to push out of the way when floor space is needed. Best of all, these stools are only about $15 each, making them an incredibly affordable way to seat family and friends.
2. ÄPPLARÖ Folding Chairs: These chairs are ideal for those who are on the lookout for an indoor/outdoor solution. They are durable enough to be used outdoors during a cookout but nice enough to compliment your indoor decor. On top of all that, the fact that they fold away means storage is easy.
3. LEIFARNE Stackable Chairs: Another stackable option, these chairs offer a nice, comfortable shape and more support than either of the seating options above. While they do require a bit more storage space, their stackability makes them manageable and the comfort they offer makes the trade-off worthwhile.
1. VALLENTUNA Modular Sofa: If you’ve ever wanted to build your own sofa, VALLENTUNA is the line for you. This series of modular sofa pieces allows customers to put together their very own custom piece of furniture. Of course, this means that their couch will suits their needs perfectly. The line even includes storage seats and hidden beds, making this a great option for RVers who are limited on space.
2. BALKARP Sleeper Sofa: Another option for those needing a hidden bed is the BALKARP Sleeper Sofa. This super compact futon-style sofa offers affordability, comfort, and versatility all in one package. To make a good thing better, this sofa will fit well into any decor.
3. FRIHETEN Sleeper Sofa: We adore this sofa. The FRIHETEN Sleeper Sofa uses a drawer frame to turn into a comfy, full-sized bed. It does this while also offering a large amount of highly accessible storage space. This sofa is ideal for larger families who are looking to add beds and storage to their home-on-wheels.
1. IKEA PS LÖVÅS Sleeper Sofa: While this is technically a sleeper sofa, we feel it is more of a bed than a sofa. This unique piece is basically a mattress that folds into a vaguely sofa-shaped sitting surface during the day. The great thing about this item is the fact that the mattress is comfortable enough for regular use.
2. TUSSÖY Mattress Topper — The vast majority of RV mattresses are far from comfortable. Those who sleep in an RV every night quickly tire of the relentless backache provided by the terrible stock mattresses. There is always the option of replacing the mattress entirely. However, many people prefer not to do this due to weight, size, and costs. In these cases, mattress toppers are the best bet, and the TUSSÖY Mattress Topper is one of the best out there.
3. SNIGLAR Children’s Bed — This teeny-tiny bed is ideal for RVing parents looking for a bed for a little one. Because the bed is so small, it fits quite nicely into almost any nook or cranny, making it ideal for tiny homes.
These twelve furniture items are the very best of the RV-friendly IKEA furniture pieces out there. Have one you love? Let us know about it in the comments.
See also: 7 Creative IKEA Hacks For Your RV
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days
Love RVing? You'll Love RV LIFE Pro
It’s the wanderlust, the freedom of the open road. It’s not the destination, but the journey. It’s exploring the world. You don’t need a house because when you travel, you’re home. That’s RV LIFE.
The problem is, planning epic RV journey is somewhat complex. At RV LIFE, we believe it should be simple. As RVers ourselves, we understand the process and have helped millions of RVers journey with confidence and make their travel dreams come true.
RV Trip Wizard helps you plan the perfect trip and our RV GPS app turns your phone into an RV Safe GPS to get you there safely. Have a question about ANYTHING related to RVing, join the conversation at any of our awesome RV forum communities.
Step 1: Click here to learn more and sign up for the free trial.
Step 2: Plan your dream RV trip.
Step 3: Enjoy unforgettable memories!