After recently taking a work camping position that required my attire to shift from my typical shorts and t-shirt ensemble to a more business casual type look, I came across an issue. We had no RV ironing board. How was I to get the wrinkles from my khaki slacks? If I was to look presentable (even the best attempts may fall short), then I needed to find someone to get an ironing board. Three are no shortage of options but the array of mini-boards that go on the counter or on the bed left my significant other none too impressed. After all, who wouldn’t prefer a full size ironing board. Given its slim profile it should be easy enough to hide away when not needed. But sadly it has a unique shape that makes the traditional folding leg ironing board tough to store. It wasn’t till my search led me to a wall mounted slim profile RV ironing board that I found the solution. The Iron-A-Way Handi-Press Surface Wall Mount Ironing Board.
This handy device mounts flush against the wall, cabinet, or door of your RV and only protrudes 3” when stowed. But when you swing open the 15” wide door a 42” full size ironing board folds down and appears for use. When done, it folds away in seconds and I am off to put my pants on!
This RV ironing board solution from Iron-A-Way is surprisingly durable given its size. It does not require cutting holes in walls thankfully as other models do. It comes with an unfinished birch door which we decided to paint to match our RV. Alternatively you could put trim on it and stain it to match cabinets or any other array of things. The door is mounted on a piano hinge which means the door will give before the hinge will hopefully. It also comes with the ironing board pad and the unit comes fully assembled right out of the box.
The installation of any item that hangs on a wall can be tricky in a RV. We provided a rough outline of our customized installation of the Iron-A-Way RV ironing board to give you an idea of the steps we took. Official installation instructions are also provided below.
RV Ironing Board Installation Instructions
- Find a wall stud, door or cabinet that you can securely fasten the RV ironing board to.
- Be sure to avoid electrical wires and other items in the wall.
- Make sure your mounting area allows for the door to open and for the RV ironing board to fold down. The door opens 180 degrees and the board folds down 44 inches from the wall.
- We took a piece of 1/2” plywood and cut it to the same size as the unit then fastened it to the wall with adhesive and fasteners. Then attached the Iron-a-Way RV ironing board to the plywood with screws. (Optional)
- Take a drill bit and make a pilot hole into the wall stud(plywood) where the RV ironing board will go.
- Place the RV ironing board into position and fasten to the wall stud or optional plywood.
- Be sure to level the cabinet before securing permanently to the wall.
See the Official Specifications
The only downside to this unit is that you cannot store the iron, starch, and other accessories within the RV ironing board cabinet (by design to keep it slim). We deliberated over it and decided slim was best, though if you are more interested in a version that allows for more storage within the cabinet and have the room then you should consider the SEI Wall Mount Ironing Center.
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days