Fall Camping: A Complete Guide To RVing This Season
Fall is here! This means warm sweaters, yummy soups, and cozy nights cuddled up under blankets. For many, it also means it’s time to park and winterize the RV until next year. However, this is a big mistake. Why? Because fall is the best season for camping and traveling!
There are countless ways to celebrate fall while traveling in your RV. Whether you plan on weekend trips close to home or doing some long-term travel, you shouldn’t have any trouble at all ushering in the autumn season in your RV. Below are several of our favorite ways to do just that.
Warm and comforting camping recipes
Let’s start with some fall recipes. After all, nothing says “Welcome, autumn!” quite like a good soup, tasty treats filled with the spices of the season, or delicious campfire meals enjoyed around an open flame.
Try these favorites on your next fall camping trip to get your crew in the right mood:
- Campfire Dinner in a Pumpkin — There’s nothing quite like cooking around a campfire. However, sometimes hotdogs just won’t cut it, especially if you’re trying to get into a cozy, fall kind of mood. For those times, there is this delicious seasonal campfire dinner in a pumpkin.
- 10-Minute Instant Pot Potato Soup — If you haven’t jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon, it’s high time you did. This kitchen gadget is absolutely amazing, and is perfect for RVers thanks to its multiple functions and quick-cooking abilities. Pick one up today and try this awesome soup on your next trip.
- Campfire-Baked Apples — When dessert time rolls around, keep the flavors of fall flowing with these delicious campfire-baked apples. Since apples are in season, they’re also pretty inexpensive, meaning having seconds is totally an option.
Must-see fall foliage drives
Depending on where you travel in your RV this season, a scenic drive to see the fall foliage might just be in order. Certain parts of the country get some incredibly gorgeous fall colors, and this simply must be seen and appreciated while you have the chance.
Here are a few of our favorite foliage drives in the US:
- The Catskills (New York) — The northeast traveler will appreciate the October views in the Catskills Mountains.
- Great Smoky Mountains (North Carolina and Tennessee) — Planning to stick closer to the middle of the country? The Tennessee side of the Great Smoky Mountains is a great option in October and November.
- Aspen (Colorado) — Another fabulous central location, Aspen, Colorado is absolutely beautiful in early fall. Just make sure you make it before the end of October for the best views!
- June Lake Loop (California) — Finally, there is our favorite location, the June Lake Loop (Highway 158) in California’s Eastern Sierra. Plan your trip by mid-October to see the foliage at its peak color.
You may also like these 12 Fall Drives Where You Can See Colorful Foliage This Season
The best National Parks to visit during fall
Of course, scenic drives aren’t the only way to appreciate the beauty of this season. Another great option? Our country’s beautiful national parks!
To be honest, almost any of the parks would be beautiful to visit during the fall. However, there are definitely some standout parks. Here are our favorites:
- Zion National Park — Zion National Park is one of those attractions everyone should see at least once, and fall is the perfect time to do just that. During the autumn months, this park sees mild temperatures, lower water levels (important for certain hikes), and lower crowd levels. All of these things contribute to an amazing visit.
- Yosemite National Park — To be honest, this park is gorgeous in all seasons. However, there is something especially enchanting about the fall in Yosemite. By about mid-October, the yellows and oranges begin to show themselves, and the vivid colors pop up throughout the season.
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park — Sure, we already mentioned this park above. However, it is worth mentioning again. Why? Because while driving through to see the foliage is fabulous, this is also an amazing park to explore on foot or by bicycle during the fall season. The active wildlife is so much fun to watch, and of course, the leaves are brilliant.
Other seasonal fun
Besides fall camping activities, gorgeous drives, and beautiful national parks, there are a few other attractions and activities you may want to seek out during your autumn travels. Below are some of the best options:
- Farm and orchard visits — Visiting a farm or orchard for harvest season is incredibly fun. Fortunately, there are awesome options for this all over the country. However, if you’re traveling specifically for a farm visit, you might try Carter Mountain Orchard in Virginia or Willowbrook Apple Farm in California.
- Haunted houses and spooky places — If you’re a Halloween fan, you might find it thrilling to seek out some creepy places. Whether you travel to a haunted house attraction or a real ghost town, you’re sure to find the Halloween spirits you’re after. Some favorite spooky destinations include Salem, Massachusetts, Alcatraz Island in San Francisco, and Netherworld in Stone Mountain in Georgia.
- Sweet treats — The flavors of the fall season are simply wonderful. Why not use your RV travels to seek out the best autumn treats around? Visiting local coffee shops, bakeries, and confectionaries is sure to reveal some fabulous options such as apple cider donuts, all things pumpkin spice, and cinnamon baked goods.
Plan your fall camping trip today
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days
Love RVing? You'll Love RV LIFE Pro
It’s the wanderlust, the freedom of the open road. It’s not the destination, but the journey. It’s exploring the world. You don’t need a house because when you travel, you’re home. That’s RV LIFE.
The problem is, planning epic RV journey is somewhat complex. At RV LIFE, we believe it should be simple. As RVers ourselves, we understand the process and have helped millions of RVers journey with confidence and make their travel dreams come true.
RV Trip Wizard helps you plan the perfect trip and our RV GPS app turns your phone into an RV Safe GPS to get you there safely. Have a question about ANYTHING related to RVing, join the conversation at any of our awesome RV forum communities.
Step 1: Click here to learn more and sign up for the free trial.
Step 2: Plan your dream RV trip.
Step 3: Enjoy unforgettable memories!