Dull and generic describes the interior of most new RVs.
Neutral colors, bland patterns and bare walls are the norm.
But it doesn’t have to be that way!
A few easy, affordable changes will add the personal touch you’ve been craving.
Stand out from the crowd.
Make your RV your own.
Hang pictures and display photos
Displaying your personal photos and pictures will instantly turn any RV into your home.
But before you go out and buy that fancy frame and wire hanging system, read these tips on how to choose the best frame for your RV.
1. Hang your favorite photos or prints on the wall
Since RV walls tend to be small and made of lightweight material, it’s important that you follow a few guidelines when hanging things on them.
- Keep it small. The larger and heavier the items you’re hanging, the greater chance that they’ll fall off during travel. Use small frames no larger than 5″ x 7” and group them together for maximum visual impact.
- Put away the nails and screws. Instead use velcro picture hanging strips. These come in different sizes rated by weight. They’re easy to install – and remove.
- To be on the safe side, look for frames containing plastic instead of glass.
2. Display photos on a shelf or counter
- Use traditional frames with glass fronts and keep fabric handy for wrapping and storing while traveling.
- Try out some non-breakable options such as these personalized Desktop Plaques from shutterfly.com.
- Purchase an electronic picture frame and load with all your favorite photos for a space saving display.
Liven it up with fun fabrics
Chances are your RV came with a few throw pillows, some patterned curtains and valances, and a snazzy bed spread.
Chances are also good these fabrics are not your style.
And if you bought a used RV, they might be so worn that you’ll need to get rid of them.
New fabrics go a long way towards personalizing your RV.
This is definitely an area where a small amount of money and effort can have a huge impact on design.
1. Buy or make new pillows
- You can purchase throw pillows at many stores, including discount shops such as Homegoods and Target. For as little as $10 a pillow you can add tons of personality.
- Make your own. Pillow covers are one of the easiest things to sew. Simply purchase pillow inserts from a craft store such as Jo-Anne Fabrics, pick out a few yards of fabric, cut to size, sew up a square cover, and viola! You have new pillows for a fraction of the cost of pre-made ones.
2. Replace your curtains and valances
Replacing the curtains with brand new ones is a big job, and generally doesn’t fall into the affordable category.
But you still can improve the look of your draperies on the cheap.
The best way to save money is to do it yourself. The second best way is to find a family member or friend who can sew and is willing to make your curtains for you.
For most accomplished sewers, curtains are on the easy end of the spectrum. So don’t be afraid to ask.
Some other tips:
- Look for discount fabrics. Lots of big fabric stores sell remnants and discontinued patterns at deep discounts.
- Think outside the box. You can often find deals on sheets, fabric shower curtains, or other large pieces of fabric. Cut these to size, sew a hem, and you have an instant curtain.
- Replace just the valences. Valances are the fabric-covered wooden strips that cover the tops and sides of the curtains or blinds in your RV. They’re extremely easy to re-cover and make a big impact when it comes to adding style. Read this article for tips on how to re-cover your valances.
3. Spice things up in the bedroom with a new bedspread
Since most RV bedrooms are dominated by the bed itself, the bedspread goes a long way in creating style.
- Buy a new bedspread with matching pillows to add some flair.
- If you don’t want to invest in a new bedspread, buy a duvet cover for your old spread. It’s a great way to achieve a new look without spending a lot of money.
Throw down some rugs
Laying down a couple of throw rugs will surely liven up your RV interior.
They’re also great at catching dirt and softening hard surfaces in places such as the kitchen and bathroom.
- Look for rugs that are easy to pick up and shake outside for a quick clean.
- Check out the huge selection of rugs at overstock.com for great priced, quality rugs in all sizes, colors, and patterns.
- Buy matching rugs for the different areas of your RV to create a cohesive style
Upgrade the hardware in your RV kitchen
The easiest way to brighten the look of your RV kitchen while keeping costs low is to change the look of the cabinet hardware.
- Replace the hardware will new knobs, handles and pulls. Be sure to check and make sure you don’t inadvertently get rid of any locking door mechanisms. Otherwise you might have a surprise the next time you drive down the road!
- Remove and spray paint the hardware. This is an excellent, money saving alternative to replacement. Simply remove the hardware and spray paint with the color of your choice. You (and your friends) will be amazed at the results.
Improving the look and feel of your RV interior doesn’t have to cost a lot. Good design is all about the little things. A couple of pillows here, some nicely framed pictures there and you’ve suddenly made your RV your own.
What do you think? Do you have any tips you’d like to share on easy and affordable ways to add style and personality to your RV?
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days
Love RVing? You'll Love RV LIFE Pro
It’s the wanderlust, the freedom of the open road. It’s not the destination, but the journey. It’s exploring the world. You don’t need a house because when you travel, you’re home. That’s RV LIFE.
The problem is, planning epic RV journey is somewhat complex. At RV LIFE, we believe it should be simple. As RVers ourselves, we understand the process and have helped millions of RVers journey with confidence and make their travel dreams come true.
RV Trip Wizard helps you plan the perfect trip and our RV GPS app turns your phone into an RV Safe GPS to get you there safely. Have a question about ANYTHING related to RVing, join the conversation at any of our awesome RV forum communities.
Step 1: Click here to learn more and sign up for the free trial.
Step 2: Plan your dream RV trip.
Step 3: Enjoy unforgettable memories!