The last thing you’d expect to see on a city rooftop is an Airstream trailer park, especially across the globe in South Africa. But Cape Town’s Grand Daddy Hotel doesn’t only have luxurious suites. Sitting up on the hotel roof, seven individually-themed Airstream trailers are also available to stay in with the most fantastic views overlooking the lively city.
Welcome to the top of Grand Daddy Hotel.
These seven shiny silver bullets are all arranged strategically across the roof, overlooking the city’s famous Long Street. They’re decorated beautifully and individually themed after various places from around the country.
Each one comes with a queen-sized bed, TV, bar fridge, A/C, small bathroom/shower, and even their own U.S. mailboxes.
Getting up to the roof is an experience of its own. You take the hotel’s vintage elevator, which works as the oldest operating elevator in Cape Town.
From the top you get amazing, panoramic views of the city skyline.
And from some angles, you can even catch a glimpse of Table Mountain.
The shiny polished trailers are all elaborately designed inside. For wine lovers, this one provides the “Grape Escape”:
It’s the largest of the seven trailers. Their other themes include:
- The Rooftop Safari, which was inspired by the authentic lodging of Jaci’s Lodges in the Madikwe Game Reserve, and the Cheetah Plains at Sabi Sands.
- Beach House, with seaside decor inspired by the coastal village, Hermanus.
- Gold Rush, which was designed to reflect how the country had for many years (until about 2006) been one of the world’s leading gold producers.
- Bloomin Daisies, which celebrates the floral paradise along Namaqualand Flower Route north of Cape Town.
- City Flights, wallpapered with the owner’s aviation maps.
- and Karoo Dorps, inspired by the windmills and wide open spaces found across the Karoo Desert.
An outdoor theater is set among the trailers, known as the Pink Flamingo Rooftop Cinema.
They have three seating options, including: General Seating, the Love Seat, and the Couch – all of which include a drink, bag of candy, and popcorn. For an extra fee, you can also order a whole picnic while you watch the movie.
Bottoms up! Guests can grab a drink at the roof’s Sky Bar.
They serve bubbly champagne, fabulous cocktails, and refreshing cold beers while you can just kick back and take in the views.
A lovely seated area also provides a cozy spot to lay out and relax overlooking the city.
Rates vary between the High Season and the Low Season. Complimentary breakfast, coffee/tea, and WiFi is all included.
For more information, visit The Grand Daddy Hotel’s website.
If you liked this article, check out this cozy vintage trailer hostel in Germany
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days