The Pros And Cons Of An RV Cell Phone Booster
An RV cell phone booster can help cell phone users enhance coverage in areas where service is spotty or unreliable.
An RV cell booster improves cell service reception via three primary components:
- An antenna mounted outside of your RV to receive signals. This antenna is bigger and better than the one contained within your mobile device.
- An amplifier which “boosts” the signal.
- Interior antenna(s) which rebroadcast the amplified signal inside your RV.
The pros of an RV cell phone booster
- They provide a more stable connection for phone calls and internet usage.
- Fewer dropped calls.
- Often provide faster data speeds.
- Improved battery life on your wireless device as it doesn’t have to work as hard to obtain a usable signal.
- Reduced levels of electromagnetic radiation from your phone (poorer signals produce higher levels of radiation).
- Often eliminates breakups, distortion, echo and more during voice calls.
- Directional antennas on a telescopic pole can be utilized to maximize reception in most remote areas.
- Increases the likelihood of communicating with first responders from remote campsites if the need arises.
The cons of an RV cell booster
- They can’t make something out of nothing, so if there isn’t a signal to begin with, an RV cell booster can’t create one.
- An improperly installed booster can interfere with other calls, including emergency calls to 911.
- They require electrical power, which is a precious commodity when dry camping.
- Internal antennas only transmit a short distance, which might only provide service in a limited portion of the RV.
- There are many boosters on the market that are poorly designed and poorly made which can lead to frustration and a waste of money. Be certain to purchase a booster that will perform as promised.
- Antennas on top of telescopic poles necessitate lowering and raising between campsites, adding one more chore to the “to-do” checklist.
- A good RV cell phone booster system can be expensive.
If you like to camp in remote areas and find yourself standing outside of your RV, in the window openings, along one side of your RV, or holding your phone in just the right way to obtain a usable cell signal, then the pros of an RV cell booster probably far outweigh the cons, making a booster the right choice for you.
What is the best RV cell phone booster?
RVers looking for valuable how-to information have learned to go to the experts. Forums such as iRV2.com and blog sites like RV LIFE, Do It Yourself RV, and Camper Report provide all the information you need to enjoy your RV. You’ll also find brand-specific information on additional forums like Air Forums, Forest River Forums, and Jayco Owners Forum.
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days
Love RVing? You'll Love RV LIFE Pro
It’s the wanderlust, the freedom of the open road. It’s not the destination, but the journey. It’s exploring the world. You don’t need a house because when you travel, you’re home. That’s RV LIFE.
The problem is, planning epic RV journey is somewhat complex. At RV LIFE, we believe it should be simple. As RVers ourselves, we understand the process and have helped millions of RVers journey with confidence and make their travel dreams come true.
RV Trip Wizard helps you plan the perfect trip and our RV GPS app turns your phone into an RV Safe GPS to get you there safely. Have a question about ANYTHING related to RVing, join the conversation at any of our awesome RV forum communities.
Step 1: Click here to learn more and sign up for the free trial.
Step 2: Plan your dream RV trip.
Step 3: Enjoy unforgettable memories!