Mark your calendars: Washington State Parks recently announced the twelve days in 2018 when you can visit for free.
Those traveling by vehicle will not need an annual Discover Pass ($30) or day-use permit ($10) in order to explore state parks on these days. Campers should note that free days do not cover overnight stays, or use of rented facilities.
Over a hundred state parks across Washington show off the diverse scenery of the Pacific Northwest. Go hiking and camping at Cape Disappointment State Park along the Pacific coast, stop by Riverside State Park northwest of Spokane for all types of outdoor recreation, or see hidden waterfalls at Palouse Falls State Park and Wallace Falls State Park. You really can’t go wrong with any of them.
In addition to the days for next year, there are still a couple of free days left in 2017: November 11 was designated as a free day in honor of Veterans Day, and November 24 was named as a free day to celebrate autumn.
These are the designated free days in 2018 for Washington State Parks:
- Monday, Jan. 1: First Day Hikes, New Year’s Day
- Monday, Jan. 15: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Monday, March 19: State Parks’ 105th Birthday
- Saturday, April 14: Springtime free day
- Sunday, April 22: Earth Day
- Saturday, June 2: National Trails Day
- Saturday, June 9: National Get Outdoors Day
- Sunday, June 10: Free Fishing Day
- Saturday, Aug. 25: National Park Service Birthday
- Saturday, Sept. 29: National Public Lands Day
- Sunday, Nov. 11: Veterans Day
- Friday, Nov. 23: Autumn free day
The “Free Fishing Day” on Sunday, June 10 was a new addition to this year’s schedule. Along with the day before, June 9, for “National Get Outdoors Day”, the two dates make for an entire weekend where you can visit the state parks at no cost.
For more Washington destinations, check out:
- The Long Beach Peninsula, home of Sou’wester Lodge and Cape Disappointment State Park
- Cape Flattery, the northwestern-most point of the lower U.S. and Hobuck Beach Resort
- 15 Amazing Places On The Olympic Peninsula
- The iconic Mount Rainier National Park
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days