In the ever expanding struggle for space in our RV’s, we are always on the lookout for clever design ideas that can offer added functionality and convenience. This idea originally seen on TheTinyLife.com brings to our attention this wonderful RV cutting board drawer idea. As the photo clearly shows this is a simple RV mod that could be done in just a few hours. The hope of course is that your RV already has a drawer and a cabinet that are lined up in a similar fashion as this. If not, then this will be a much larger undertaking though most RV’s we have seen do offer a configuration where this is possible.
This RV cutting board drawer offers some very handy functionality for those who cook in their RV. Clearly it serves as a cutting board, but also simple way to discard stems, ties, and bags associated with pairing and cutting different items. This makes cleanup a snap. This RV cutting board drawer would also make it easier to prepare meals and alleviate some storage area that no longer must be occupied by a cutting board.
RV Cutting Board Drawer Items Needed List:
(Assuming you already have a drawer and a cabinet that line up over-top each other)
- Cutting Board cut to fit the profile of the drawer – Cutting down a pre-made cutting board may be the most economical. Wood or High Density Polyethylene
- Slide Out Trash Bin – 20QT Size or 30QT Size depending on your preference.
RV Cutting Board Drawer Build Instructions:
- Remove existing drawer.
- Remove hardware from existing drawer
- Cut down the sides of the drawer to accommodate the cutting board thickness
- Remove bottom of drawer (Cutting is the easiest way for many drawers)
- Cut cutting board to fit on top of the drawer.
- Fasten cutting board to the drawer and reinforce underneath with blocks for rigidity.
- Replace drawer hardware.
RV Cutting Board Drawer Installation Instructions:
- Install Rev-A-Shelf Trash Can kit or a similar product
- Pull out trash can and drawer then cut hole with a jigsaw centered over the trash.
- Use a sander to clean up around the cutout
- Re-finish around cutting hole with stain and sealer at your preference.
If the drawers don’t line up or you don’t think the drawer hardware will support the weight you may have to do some heavy customization to get this RV cutting board idea to work. We do recommend replacing the drawer hardware for the cutting board with 100lb capacity slides if your concerned about the stability of the cutting surface.