15 Benefits Of Portable Fire Pits
Through the ages, mankind has relied on fire for warmth, safety, cooking, and light. While we are no longer dependent on fire as we once were, we are still drawn to it, especially when we are outdoors camping.
“For many people, there is nothing like a camping fire pit full of flames when you are out camping.” Per Kelly Beasley & Marshall Wendler’s blog post.
However, enjoying a fire when we are out camping is not as easy as it once was. Crowded camp spaces, fire restrictions, bug infested firewood, persisting drought conditions, ground fire restrictions, wind, etc. can put a damper of having and enjoying time around a campfire in a traditional fixed fire pit.
Thankfully, portable fire pits allow us to meet or overcome the variables listed above, so that a campfire can be enjoyed most any time, any place.
Portable fire pits are available in both wood and propane models. Each has its own advantage along with the shared benefit of portability.
Wood burning portable fire pits
1. You can locate them downwind from your RV so the wood smoke blows away from your camp.
2. They allow you to cook a complete meal over a wood fire away from your RV like breakfast on a stick. They are a great way to roast a hot dog, toast a marshmallow or get creative with other over the fire treats such as éclairs!
3. Provides an ample amount of heat to keep you and others warm in cold weather.
Propane burning fire pits
4. Ignites and provides heat instantly.
5. At the end of the night, you turn off the gas and the fire is out. No need to quench or worry about floating embers sparking unintentional fires.
6. Typically allowed when wood and charcoal fires are banned.
7. No wood smoke to stink up your clothes, blow into your RV, or your neighbor’s RV.
8. No campfire wood is required, so no worries about bug infested wood or paying for overpriced firewood at the campground.
9. They are generally safer as there is no need to worry about sparks jumping into your lap or the laps of children sitting around the fire.
Both wood and gas portable fire pits
10. They are visually appealing and add ambiance to any campsite.
11. Since they are elevated, they are unlikely to ignite dry leaves and twigs on the ground.
12. They are socially appealing as everyone likes to gather around a campfire.
13. You can locate them where you want to take advantage of a view, seating, RV placement, privacy from other campsites, out of the wind, etc. You are no longer restricted to having your fire at the existing, often poorly placed, campfire ring at your site.
14. Portable fire pits are versatile as you can also use them at home or at a friend’s house.
15. Less mess left behind! With a portable propane fire pit, you might end up with a little soot on the fake logs or lava rock. Once cool, the ashes from a portable wood burning fire pit can be dumped in the provided charcoal disposal container found at many campgrounds or placed in an ash bucket and taken home.
Here’s a short video listing the advantages and disadvantages of both gas fire pits and wood burning fire pits that might help you decide which one is right for you.
RVers looking for valuable how-to information have learned to go to the experts. Forums such as iRV2.com and blog sites like RV LIFE, Do It Yourself RV, and Camper Report provide all the information you need to enjoy your RV. You’ll also find brand-specific information on additional forums like Air Forums, Forest River Forums, and Jayco Owners Forum.
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days
Love RVing? You'll Love RV LIFE Pro
It’s the wanderlust, the freedom of the open road. It’s not the destination, but the journey. It’s exploring the world. You don’t need a house because when you travel, you’re home. That’s RV LIFE.
The problem is, planning epic RV journey is somewhat complex. At RV LIFE, we believe it should be simple. As RVers ourselves, we understand the process and have helped millions of RVers journey with confidence and make their travel dreams come true.
RV Trip Wizard helps you plan the perfect trip and our RV GPS app turns your phone into an RV Safe GPS to get you there safely. Have a question about ANYTHING related to RVing, join the conversation at any of our awesome RV forum communities.
Step 1: Click here to learn more and sign up for the free trial.
Step 2: Plan your dream RV trip.
Step 3: Enjoy unforgettable memories!