RV Showerheads: Should You Make The Upgrade?
Are you tired of the short, weak showers in your RV? You may want to consider upgrading your RV showerhead to a better aftermarket option.
The standard RV showerheads that come in most motorhomes and trailers are notorious for their low water pressure. In some cases, the showerhead that came with the RV can break its seal and cause your shower to leak, draining more water from your tank than expected.
Several aftermarket showerheads can be purchased both online and in stores. With prices around $15-40, it’s both affordable and worth the cost for an improved shower experience. These are some of the key features you’ll want to look for when shopping for a new RV showerhead.
Types of RV showerheads
The first thing you’ll want to consider is what type of showerhead you want. There are a few types available, and they all have their own unique features.
Handheld RV showerheads are the most popular choice. Rather than mounting them on the wall, they attach to a hose and can easily be moved around to clean hard-to-reach areas. Many quality handheld showerheads are made of brushed nickel or chrome.
Rain showerheads have a large diameter with a steady water flow, much like a rain cloud. They can be installed as a fixed showerhead, as a handheld showerhead, or even as both. Typically, rain showerheads don’t get as good of water pressure as traditional style showerheads. However, they offer a more relaxing, lavish spa experience than a traditional shower.
Fixed showerheads are just like the showerheads back at home. They are mounted in a fixed position on the wall and may have a swivel that allows you to direct the spray. You can purchase the wall mount separately to use with your existing (or new) showerhead.
Benefits of aftermarket RV showerheads
Aftermarket RV showerheads have many great benefits for RVers. For example:
- You’ll get longer, more enjoyable showers from the improved water pressure.
- With an upgraded RV showerhead, you’ll also reduce energy used to heat the water. Your limited hot water will last even longer.
- Get the most out of your water tanks. Every drop counts when you’re boondocking off the grid. RV showerheads make it easy to conserve water and only use what’s needed.
- They are less likely to leak resulting in wasted water.
What features should you look for in an RV showerhead?
Most RV showerheads are made similar, but each one has its own different features. These are some of the things you’ll want to look out for.
- A pause/shut-off feature that allows you to pause the water while you’re lathering up with soap or shampoo. This feature is essential when you’re dry camping with a limited water supply and need to conserve water as much as possible.
- Installation should be quick and easy. No need for an experienced plumber or technician.
- Oxygenated showerheads such as the Oxygenics Body Spa have loads of great benefits. According to Equiparts, “Adding oxygen to water is like filling up a balloon with air. It makes the water droplets expand so they come out of the showerheads larger and wider, covering more of you when you shower. The mixture of oxygen and water that occurs in an Oxygenics showerhead creates an effect like a jet engine, blasting away dirt and odor with incredible strength.”
- Anti-clog properties. Some showerheads are designed specifically with non-stick internal parts to prevent mineral buildup and clogging. This is useful if you often camp in areas with hard water such as the Southwest Desert.
Best RV showerheads
Oxygenics is well-known for their line of RV showerheads including their classic Hand-Held Sprayer, the Fury, and the brushed nickel Body Spa. In fact, we have even raved about it before here on Do It Yourself RV.
The handheld showerhead can easily be installed in less than ten minutes with just a screwdriver and the Oxygenics showerhead mount. The BodySpa is designed with a SmartPause feature that conserves 30-70% more water than standard RV showerheads.
Phoenix also makes a couple of quality RV showerheads including the AirFusion and basic single-function showerheads. The AirFusion is advertised to use 20% less of your water supply while still providing a high-pressure spray.
Dura Faucet showerheads are a little more affordable, in the $15-20 range, about half the cost of the previous showerheads. Their Hand Held Shower Wand has a trickle switch to conserve water. They also make a standard RV showerhead kit that mounts on your shower wall.
The popular brand Camco also makes a quality handheld RV showerhead. Their showerheads are made in off-white and chrome with five different spray settings, as well as an on/off switch to pause the water flow.
PIH makes one of the highest-rated RV showerheads on Amazon. Their high-pressure handheld showerhead has three functions: a more concentrated spray for massaging, a full spray, and a pause feature. It also includes a 59″ flexible hose along with a shower bracket.
Once you shower with a new and improved RV showerhead, you’ll be glad you made the switch. For more ideas on how to upgrade your shower, check out this article.
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days
Love RVing? You'll Love RV LIFE Pro
It’s the wanderlust, the freedom of the open road. It’s not the destination, but the journey. It’s exploring the world. You don’t need a house because when you travel, you’re home. That’s RV LIFE.
The problem is, planning epic RV journey is somewhat complex. At RV LIFE, we believe it should be simple. As RVers ourselves, we understand the process and have helped millions of RVers journey with confidence and make their travel dreams come true.
RV Trip Wizard helps you plan the perfect trip and our RV GPS app turns your phone into an RV Safe GPS to get you there safely. Have a question about ANYTHING related to RVing, join the conversation at any of our awesome RV forum communities.
Step 1: Click here to learn more and sign up for the free trial.
Step 2: Plan your dream RV trip.
Step 3: Enjoy unforgettable memories!