The debate on driving with your propane system on has raged for years. But what about propane accidents when your RV is parked?
One man in Bend, Oregon was critically injured in an RV gas explosion. The cause? An uncapped propane line from a removed RV refrigerator.
A fire marshall said that the couple had bought the 1978 trailer without checking the integrity of the propane system. A refrigerator was removed before the trailer was sold, but the propane line feeding the unit hadn’t been capped off.
When the man turned on a stove burner, the propane gas in the RV caused an explosion.
The Bend Fire Marshall had a few tips for those purchasing used RVs,
The Bend Fire Department reminds everyone to inspect their trailer’s and RV’s fuel systems to ensure proper and safe operation. Especially if the trailer is new to you, ensure all connections are tight and there are no open ends.
We recommend having a service professional inspect the trailer to ensure all systems are safe for use. Propane is a highly flammable gas and when confined inside a space, can explode such as what happened here.
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days
Love RVing? You'll Love RV LIFE Pro
It’s the wanderlust, the freedom of the open road. It’s not the destination, but the journey. It’s exploring the world. You don’t need a house because when you travel, you’re home. That’s RV LIFE.
The problem is, planning epic RV journey is somewhat complex. At RV LIFE, we believe it should be simple. As RVers ourselves, we understand the process and have helped millions of RVers journey with confidence and make their travel dreams come true.
RV Trip Wizard helps you plan the perfect trip and our RV GPS app turns your phone into an RV Safe GPS to get you there safely. Have a question about ANYTHING related to RVing, join the conversation at any of our awesome RV forum communities.
Step 1: Click here to learn more and sign up for the free trial.
Step 2: Plan your dream RV trip.
Step 3: Enjoy unforgettable memories!