How To Find Free RV Dump Stations
Finding places to dump RV waste for free is important for someone like myself that boondocks most of the time. I seek out free dump stations, as it rubs me wrong to pay the equivalent of half a night camping fees ($10-25) to dump at a campground or RV park. If I am going to pay that much, I might as well spend the night and take advantage of all the services.
“If your camping style lends itself to RV parks or campgrounds, you may not have any problem dumping your RV tanks. Dumping waste becomes a bigger obstacle when you’re boondocking.” Per RV bloggers Jason and Rae Miller
Where to dump RV waste for free
- Rest areas along your route will often include free RV dump stations. Visit the DOT (Department of Transportation) website for the state you are in when you need to find a dump station. Most will have a page listing the rest areas and facilities offered including dump stations. Here is an example.
- Fuel stations will often have a place to dump RV waste for free. They do so to attract RVers who will often purchase their fuel there too.
- Cabela’s and ProBass Shops are RV-friendly and often allow RVers to spend the night and dump their holding tanks. Some stores require you to purchase something in their stores to access to the dump station for free.
- Visitor centers and Chambers of Commerce will occasionally offer free dump stations to attract RVers and their tourist dollars.
- Municipal sewer facilities: These public facilities typically offer a place for RVers to dump for free.
- Military campgrounds are an option for free for active and retired members of the military.
- City parks will sometimes have a free dump station along with potable water.
- Federal campgrounds like USFS, BLM, and National Parks often allow RVers to dump for free even if they are not staying in the campground.
How to find RV dump sites
Once you have an idea on where to dump RV waste for free, you will want to plan your travels with RV LIFE Trip Wizard to easily find these locations along your route and more. Click here to read an article on how to find RV dump sites near you.
The video below will also provide some useful information on where to dump RV waste for free.
For help mapping out your route for your next RV getaway, look no further than RV LIFE Trip Wizard. This online planning tool makes it easy to plan an RV-safe route. It can also locate interesting sites along the way, all according to your travel preferences. Get RV LIFE Trip Wizard with its accompanying RV LIFE App, and start planning your adventure today!
- Dump Station Etiquette Every RVer Should Know
- RV Dump Station Tips That Every Camper Should Know
- 5 Simple RV Dump Station Etiquette Rules
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days
Love RVing? You'll Love RV LIFE Pro
It’s the wanderlust, the freedom of the open road. It’s not the destination, but the journey. It’s exploring the world. You don’t need a house because when you travel, you’re home. That’s RV LIFE.
The problem is, planning epic RV journey is somewhat complex. At RV LIFE, we believe it should be simple. As RVers ourselves, we understand the process and have helped millions of RVers journey with confidence and make their travel dreams come true.
RV Trip Wizard helps you plan the perfect trip and our RV GPS app turns your phone into an RV Safe GPS to get you there safely. Have a question about ANYTHING related to RVing, join the conversation at any of our awesome RV forum communities.
Step 1: Click here to learn more and sign up for the free trial.
Step 2: Plan your dream RV trip.
Step 3: Enjoy unforgettable memories!