You may remember Kevin from his video showing how he built a large teardrop-style camper in only two weeks.
He’s now working on another teardrop build, this time based off of a motorcycle transport trailer.
I wanted to share with you an interesting video he made in which he talks about why he chose this motorcycle transport trailer over the commonly-used Harbor Freight cargo trailer.
Kevin advises against using Harbor Freight trailers if you’re thinking about building your own trailer-based camper. The reason has to do with how the frame is built.
He says that most cargo trailers are bolted – rather than welded – together. Kevin says,
Those people that have built small campers on those Harbor Freight frames…they’re going to have to eventually unbolt the carriage bolts on the trailer, take the body of the trailer off that frame, and re-bolt it to another frame.
Watch this video below to hear more of his reasons for going with a welded versus a bolted trailer for your next camper build.
You can watch the other videos in Kevin’s teardrop build by visiting his YouTube channel here. Below is the complete list if you’d like to watch selected parts.
- Part 1: Beginning of the build – and showing the new camper frame
- Part 2: Painting and finishing the frame
- Part 3: Finalizing the design for the teardrop
- Part 4: How to source camper doors and other parts on the cheap
- Part 5: Working on the body of the camper
- Part 6: Putting on the Luan plywood siding
- Part 7: Adding aluminum siding over the plywood exterior
- Part 8: Adding doors and windows to the teardrop camper
- Part 9: Uh oh! Kevin talks about how he put the “cart before the horse” and what he did about it
- Part 10: New wheels and rims for the camper
- Part 11: Quick video showing how he made his own custom RealTree curtains
- Part 12: Finishing up the outer skin and installing the bed riser
- Part 13: Overview of the build so far
- Part 14: Adding insulation
- Part 15: Which frame is best for your camper? (shown in this article above)
- Part 16: New graphics on the outside of the camper
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days
Love RVing? You'll Love RV LIFE Pro
It’s the wanderlust, the freedom of the open road. It’s not the destination, but the journey. It’s exploring the world. You don’t need a house because when you travel, you’re home. That’s RV LIFE.
The problem is, planning epic RV journey is somewhat complex. At RV LIFE, we believe it should be simple. As RVers ourselves, we understand the process and have helped millions of RVers journey with confidence and make their travel dreams come true.
RV Trip Wizard helps you plan the perfect trip and our RV GPS app turns your phone into an RV Safe GPS to get you there safely. Have a question about ANYTHING related to RVing, join the conversation at any of our awesome RV forum communities.
Step 1: Click here to learn more and sign up for the free trial.
Step 2: Plan your dream RV trip.
Step 3: Enjoy unforgettable memories!