Having access to an RV washer and dryer happens to be vital for many RV enthusiasts.
Life on the road can be quite exciting, but some of the typical household chores can steal away the fun.
Owning a house that rolls is the envy of many living in regular brick and mortar homes.
However, washing and drying the laundry on the road is not always as simple a task as it is back at home.
Intent on helping the RV traveler, companies have come up an array of products suited to take the headache out of one of the most hated RV chores of all time.
In this guide I will attempt to brief you on the technology, options, convenience and value associated with the many RV washer dryer decisions you will need to make to take back control of your dirty underwear on the road!
Types of RV Washers Dryers
The major types of RV washers and dryers include:
- Compact Stackable RV Washer Dryer
- Combination RV Washer Dryer
- Portable and Storable RV Washer Dryer
Variations Across the Above Three Types:
- Vented – Vented machines during the drying process take room air, heat it, tumble it through the clothes and exhaust it to the outside. This means a hole has to be made in the wall of the RV for the exhaust vent.
- Non Vented – Non-vented machines heat air inside the drum and tumble it through the clothes. This creates steam within the drum. Cold water is then used to cool the outside of the drum. This condenses the steam to water which is pumped into the RV’s drain and holding tank. Most RV’ers in-the-know will disregard non-vented RV dryers as an option.
It’s not that the ventless models don’t work or aren’t reliable.
They work great, and if that’s all you can do because of the design of your RV, then go for it. Just be aware that you’ll use more water and it will take longer for your laundry to dry than with a vented model.
If you are going ventless, you might also consider a marine ventless RV washer dryer combo model.
1. Compact Stackable RV Washer Dryer
If you have ever moved children into their first apartment or visited someone who lived downtown in a big city, chances are you have already seen the compact stackable washer and dryer.
They handle around a 12-pound load and can dry while they wash (not impressive unless you’re in an RV).
You will get a very similar experience with these units as you would with your home appliances – except they are slightly smaller and lighter!
This is a favorite option for people who are remodeling their RV as they can build a closet to accommodate the larger profile of this size of a washer and dryer.
These units typically are in the range of 30″ wide by 30″ deep by 70″ inches tall for your reference.
This option is probably the most under utilized option, but is certainly the preferable option if you have the space and have an extensive need for laundry services on your trips.
The Good Stuff
- Generous Capacity. Load size is close to what you would expect at home.
- Faster Loads – You can dry a load and wash a load at the same time
- These dryers are all vented which means they don’t use water to dry the clothes. They dry clothes faster and don’t hinder your water tanks as a result of drying.
The Bad Stuff
- Because they’re not the industry standard, many RVs can’t accommodate their size. You may have to do some serious alterations to your RV if you want to go this route.
- Uses more water than units specific to RV’s. You most likely will need water hookups and sewer to use it. Keep in mind the amps this unit will draw – can be over 20 amps depending on the unit, which doesn’t leave much left for everything else in your RV.
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days
Love RVing? You'll Love RV LIFE Pro
It’s the wanderlust, the freedom of the open road. It’s not the destination, but the journey. It’s exploring the world. You don’t need a house because when you travel, you’re home. That’s RV LIFE.
The problem is, planning epic RV journey is somewhat complex. At RV LIFE, we believe it should be simple. As RVers ourselves, we understand the process and have helped millions of RVers journey with confidence and make their travel dreams come true.
RV Trip Wizard helps you plan the perfect trip and our RV GPS app turns your phone into an RV Safe GPS to get you there safely. Have a question about ANYTHING related to RVing, join the conversation at any of our awesome RV forum communities.
Step 1: Click here to learn more and sign up for the free trial.
Step 2: Plan your dream RV trip.
Step 3: Enjoy unforgettable memories!