Welcome to the DoItYourselfRV’s RV Buyer’s Guide. This guide is intended to be a ” how to buy an rv” resource for an RV newcomer or someone who hasn’t been through the process in several years. I feel there’s a shortage of unbiased (and thorough) resources available to sort out the principles of RV buying.
It’s not intended to cover everything you ever needed to know about RV’s, but to give you a foundation of understanding so you can move the needle substantially forward on your RV purchase decision.
You won’t find any brand recommendations or sales pitches here – only the facts for which you can build an understanding and begin to make what will hopefully be a wildly enjoyable decision on how to spend your free time, retirement, or working life!
“It’s like buying a car, only harder”
Harder in the sense that for most people this will be the second to third biggest purchase in their life, after their home and car. Even more than the house in some cases! Regardless of the type or price of the RV, there are other considerations that are not always unique to RV’s but certainly need to be considered.
Aside from the asking price of an RV, it’s important to look at the “hidden” costs in addition to the sticker price:
- Maintenance – The bigger the RV the more things that can go wrong! RV’s seem to require more maintenance than the average car. Unless you’re handy, this maintenance work can be a considerable expense.
- Insurance – The bigger the RV the bigger the bill for RV insurance. You’ll find that insurance will be more expensive than its passenger commuting counterpart.
- Fuel/Oil – The RV world is still waiting on a Prius motorhome. Until then expect to get fuel economy between 8-20 MPG depending on the RV you choose.
- Towing – If you will be towing either your RV or a vehicle behind your motorhome, you need to consider if you have the vehicle or equipment to do so.
- Place to Park Your New Ride – Many Homeowner’s Associations don’t allow for RV’s or there is no space to store them. You may need to store them at a fee-based location elsewhere.
- Where will you Stay – It’s safe to assume that you may take your RV places that charge rent, like at an RV park or campground.
- Meals – Will you have the option of making meals in your RV or will you have to eat out on your trips?
- Connectivity – Mobile Internet (Our Guide), WiFi Booster, GPS, Satellite TV, Netflix etc. Are you interested in having these perks on the road?
Before you get started you may want to look over a Glossary of RV Terms
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days
Love RVing? You'll Love RV LIFE Pro
It’s the wanderlust, the freedom of the open road. It’s not the destination, but the journey. It’s exploring the world. You don’t need a house because when you travel, you’re home. That’s RV LIFE.
The problem is, planning epic RV journey is somewhat complex. At RV LIFE, we believe it should be simple. As RVers ourselves, we understand the process and have helped millions of RVers journey with confidence and make their travel dreams come true.
RV Trip Wizard helps you plan the perfect trip and our RV GPS app turns your phone into an RV Safe GPS to get you there safely. Have a question about ANYTHING related to RVing, join the conversation at any of our awesome RV forum communities.
Step 1: Click here to learn more and sign up for the free trial.
Step 2: Plan your dream RV trip.
Step 3: Enjoy unforgettable memories!